February 13, 2006
Sensual Spa: Products for lovers!
Jennifer Tanner, Esthetician
- For thousands of years lovers have been using the power of flowers, herbs and supplements to enhance their sex life. These are aphrodisiacs, named after the Aphrodite the Greek goddess of sexual love and beauty.
- Pomegranates: Symbolize fertility, rich in anti-oxidants, embody sensual pleasure.
Raw Oysters: Rich in zinc and amino acids, energize the body.
Strawberries: Lucious fruit to feed your lover.
Chocolate: Smooth and rich in anti-oxidents.
- Essential Oils:
Essential oils are effective in two ways. Applied topically and through inhalation. They can be used in countless ways: mixed into massage oil, used in the bath(10 or so drops), used in cologne, mixed in water and sprayed in the air, on sheets, on the body, in candles and in any sort of beauty product. Here is a list of common aphrodisiac oils:
Ylang-ylang: Exotic, floral
Jasmine: Sweet and lingering
Ginger: Warm spice
Sandalwood: Fragrant and earthy
Patchouli: Woodsy and mysterious
Clary Sage: Instant euphoria
Rose: Opens up the heart
Lavender: Soothing floral
Cinnamon: Warm, spicy, exciting
- Bath salts:
- Mix fragrance free mineral, epsom or sea salts with your choice of essential oils, dried herbs, or flowers, and a few drops of food coloring. Mix well or put in a plastic bag and shake until well blended. Use three or four teaspoons per bath, light a candle and relax!
- Mix essential oils of your choice. Pour into a glass dropper bottle or atomizer. Spray onto your pulse points before a hot date...vroom!
- Linen spray/air freshener/body freshener:
- Mix your choice of essential oils with distilled water in a spray bottle. Add food coloring or dried flowers or herbs if you choose. Spray on your face or body as a quick pick-me-up, in the air to freshen a room or on your linens to spice up your bedroom.
- Mix corn starch and your choice of essential oils, pour into a drawstring muslin bag. Put in your bathroom or drawers to delicately scent your clothes. Alternatives: Put lavender flowers and a few drops of essential oils in a muslin bag. This can be used in the dryer to fragrance freshly washed laundry. Add essential oils to frangrance free laundry detergent for an alternative to harshly synthetically fragranced laundry soap.
- Massage/bath/body oil:
- Mix jojoba, almond, safflower, or any other kind of natural oil with your choice of essential oils. Use for massage, in your bath or as a body moisturizer.
- Lipbalm for lovers: Mix un-petroleum jelly, three drops of cinnamon oil and either red food coloringor red glitter and apply to the lips, Meow! Kissable lips!
- Bubble bath: Custom-scent fragrance-free bath or shower gel to match your mood. Add food coloring if you wish. Use in the bath or shower (alone or with someone else).
- Bath fizzies: In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups fine sea salt, 1/2 cup cornstarch, 1/2 cup baking soda, 2 eggs, 2 tablespoons any kind of oil, 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil, 1/2 teaspoon of dried rose petals, 1/2 teaspoon of lavender flowers until forms a dough. Add food coloring if you want to have color. Dust a rolling pin and cutting board with cornstarch and roll dough 3/4 inch thick. Cut with fun cookie cutters or a glass tumbler. Place 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool and store in a cool, dry place. Toss one or two into your bath!
- Customized soap: Melt fragrance free bars of glycerin soap over very low heat. Add food coloring,glitter, oils of your choice. Pour into fun molds or ice cube trays. Put toys, messages to your lover, etc. inside and allow to harden before taking out of molds.